Richard J. Meister Scholarship
Now Accepting Applications
The Irwin W. Steans Center for Community-based Service Learning at DePaul University invites current DePaul students to apply for the Richard J. Meister Scholarship. The Meister Scholarship is an award of $1,500 for DePaul University students for the 2013-2014 academic year. All DePaul students are eligible, with a special consideration for students ages 25 and older.
Steans Center programs are built on the premise that single experiences in service to the community, however powerful, are insufficient to embed the ideas, values and habits of an engaged citizen. The Richard J. Meister scholarship lies in the tradition of DePaul scholars who critically reflect on societal issues and problem solving methods to achieve societal goals and engage in service within the local and/or global community, and encourages students to continue doing so throughout their lives.
- Must be a DePaul University undergraduate or graduate student in good standing
- Cumulative 3.0 GPA
- Have demonstrated a commitment to issues of social justice, community service and responsibility, and academic excellence
Students required to submit (in hard copy)
- DePaul transcripts (official or unofficial)
- Cover letter and resume
- 3-5 page personal statement, not to exceed 5 double-spaced pages, describing the applicant's:
- Prior experience doing community based work, assisting individuals served by community-based organizations, advocating for causes, or other experience that demonstrates commitment to civic engagement.
- Career and professional goals, exploring how the applicant's service and/or advocacy work will contribute toward future goals.
- Explanation of financial need.
- At least two letters of recommendation, one Letter of Recommendation from faculty member who knows well the applicant's academic work and and one from someone outside the university who can speak to the quality of the applicant.
DOC Meister Scholarship FAQ’s
DOC Recommendation Form Meister Program
February 14, 2014 at 5 pm
Please send all application material in hard copy to:
Steans Center for Community Based Service Learning
2233 N. Kenmore Ave., Chicago, IL 60614